I must admit that I only found out about this absolute gem recently. This beautiful forest is situated in Durbanville on the corner of Jip De Jager Drive and Van Riebeeckshof Road, not far from Tygervalley Shopping Centre. The wide open spaces make it easy to following the required Covid social distancing protocols. Surrounded by a residential area, it adds a bit of a personal touch. The list of five things are in no way exhaustive.
- Enjoying Picnics – Majik forest has lovely spots for families and friends to have picnics in a very relaxed atmosphere, so bring along your favourite company and a picnic basket and enjoy breakfast, lunch or an early supper along one of the beautiful dams (Amandel Dam or Fynbos Dam).
2. Keeping Active – Majik Forest forms part of a Green Belt and you can take lovely walks or jogs. Bring along your dog if you want to increase your activity level, but please ensure that they are on a leash.
3. Photo Shoots – The beautiful natural surroundings are perfect for wedding photography, engagement shoots, pregnancy shoots, in fact any type of photography. We saw at least two wedding couples with their entourage that made use of this opportunity when we were there.
4. Enjoying the Trials – You can explore the different trials by hiking or by cycling, but not all trials are open to cycling. There are, however, notice boards that indicate this. Unfortunately, we didn’t do the hike, but this is definitely something that I want to do the next time I visit. You just tend to see so much more different plants and flowers and hundreds of indigenous trees.
5. Fun for Children – There is a lovely park where children can run and climb and swing and just get rid of their energy, all while enjoying the fresh outdoors.
As I have said at the beginning, this list is by no means exhaustive. I am sure there are so much more that you can enjoy doing there, but I would simply just enjoy the relaxed atmosphere it has to offer. Especially after a rough week, what better way to unwind.
Entrance is free and their operating hours are from 07h00 – 19h00, seven days a week. For further information, please visit their website http://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za.